BA Spring School 2022 Ply Splitting in Three DimensionsBy Julie Hedges
The versatility of Ply-Splitting makes it an ideal technique with which to explore three-dimensional forms.
Work in the scale and yarn of your choice, to make vessels, dishes, mats, or sculptural pieces.
During the course:
- You will be introduced to three of the basic methods of Ply-Split Braiding: Plain Oblique Twining (POT),Single Course Oblique Twining (SCOT) and Ply Spit Darning, and combinations of these.
- The importance of yarn selection, colour choice and the cord making process will be explained.
- Different methods of Ply-Splitting will be examined in relation to making shapes.
- Various methods of making and finishing structures will be shown.
- During the week you will design and develop a finished structure or structures.
Suitability: All levels
Cost of materials: Approximate cost of yarn £5-£10